Aptly named a "True Western Town" by True West Magazine and dubbed a "Front-Row Seat to the American West" by the Epoch Times in 2019, Cheyenne's slogan, "Cheyenne - Live the Legend," speaks to its rich history that is seeping with Western culture. Travelers will find that there are still plenty of cowboys in the West at the world-renowned Cheyenne Frontier Days and other regularly held rodeo events around the city. Additionally, there are expansive ranches and numerous historic sites that provide a sense of what the Old West was really like.
• The Historic Plains Hotel - A proud fixture in Cheyenne since 1911 and a favorite among Wyoming's early captains of industry, cattle barons and oil tycoons. The lobby space sings out in "Western High Style," continuing over 100 years of history.
• The Depot Museum - This Historic Museum tells the story of the Cheyenne Beginnings during the construction of the transcontinental railroad.
• Big Boy Steam Engine - Visit Old Number 4004, the largest steam locomotive in the world. This powerful, coal-fired engine was designed to pull a 3,600-ton train over steep grades between Cheyenne, WY, and Ogden, Utah. The 4004 is one of the eight remaining Big Boys on display throughout the country.
• Historic Governor's Mansion - From 1905 to 1976, the mansion was the residence of 19 Wyoming first families. Governors, First Ladies, their children and pets lived and entertained in the home over the course of 71 years. Embracing the laid-back Wyoming way of life, the mansion has never been enclosed by a fence and never had on-site security.
• Cheyenne Street Railway Trolley Tour - The tours begin with tales from our railroad beginnings, departing from the historic Depot Building, a National Landmark in the heart of downtown Cheyenne. The journey takes you through Cheyenne's historic districts, providing a fascinating glimpse of the area's western & railroad heritage.
• Horse Drawn Carriage Rides - Ride a horse-drawn carriage through the historic downtown area of Cheyenne.
• Nelson Museum of the West - Home to numerous exhibits full of pieces that encompass Western history, including cowboy and Native American relics.
• Terry Bison Ranch - Located on nearly 30,000 acres of rolling countryside spotted with more than 2,300 bison. Features good old-fashioned, western fun and overnight accommodations, including cabins, bunkhouse rooms and 86 full hook-up RV sites.
• Bit-O-Wyo Ranch Horseback Riding - Scenic trail rides. Rides feature high ridges overlooking valleys and creeks as well as shaded Aspen Groves. Stay later for a Horsebarn Dinner Show.
• Big Boots Tour - These eight-foot-tall cowboy boots have been carefully painted by local artists to show Wyoming's and Cheyenne's history. Go on a scavenger hunt to find them all. Location maps are available at the Depot in the Visitors Center.
• Cheyenne Frontier Days PRCA Rodeo - Known for its fast pace and large number of contestants, this rodeo has received the PRCA Large Outdoor Rodeo of the Year award 14 times. There are 10 events with 3 sections of bulls and two sections of saddle and bareback broncos daily.
• Bulls and Barrels, a free rodeo held on select dates at the Rodeo Arenas at Archer features several events including, as the name suggests, bull riding and barrel racing.
Dress for the West
• The Wrangler - 13,000 square feet of ranch wear and Western clothing. The sky-lit hat room has a selection of nearly 500 hats and is home to retail since 1892. Hat making sessions are available as well.
• Just Dandy - A locally owned and operated boutique featuring fashion clothing and accessories.
• Desperado Depot - A curated western boutique shop with a children's line, accessories, decor and plenty of clothing options.
• The Outlaw Saloon - Cheyenne's hot spot for country and rock music with big name acts and live bands every night of the week. This saloon holds the largest dance floor in Cheyenne and southeastern Wyoming. There are over 26,000 square feet with five bars, pool tables, dart boards, an outside patio, and an indoor/outdoor stage area.
• Cadillac Ranch - A Western-style bar, dance club and concert venue that features an extensive bar menu and drink specials. A favorite spot for CFD late-night festivities.